Sunday, August 1, 2010

Race for Life

RACE: Mandaue Chamber of Commerce and Industry Race for for Life
Location: Parkmall, Ouano Ave., North Reclamation Area, Mandaue City, Cebu
Date: Aug. 1, 2010 4:00 AM-9:00 AM
Race Category: 15K
Bib Number: 15K-067
Race Time: 1:45:24 (UT)

Before I start sharing my experience on my first 15K run, let me start with my litany of praises and rants and raves. 

 I give this race 4 doggy paws.

PRAISES
- on time race start
- ample supply of water and 100 Plus
- polite marshalls and cadets (The cadets were very initiave, so read on!)
- spongebaths (Spongebob Squarepants and Dora were there! Damn, I did not had any photo taken together with them!)
- free food and drinks after the race.
- free liniment spray along the way.
- free massage after the race (I did not have this, since we I have Gina, our househelp. She is very good in massages!)

RANTS
- portalets!!!!!!! (This could have been my second ketchup run. I decided to run on a full bladder.)
- not-so-ice cold spongebaths
- separate timers for all race categories

The Experience

"Where are the portalets?" That's the first thing I asked on the people at the baggage counter as I deposted my bag. The lady did not seemed to get it at first, so I repeated the question, "Where are the portalets?" And again, she did not have a clue what the heck I was talking about. Exasperating, I asked her again, "Where are the portable toilets?" (Portalets is a term coined to shortened "portable toilets" here.) Now, the lady already got it. She instructed to go straight, turn left and there's the toilet. 

I dunno why organizers don't seemed to put up portable toilets in races being held within the vicinity of a mall?! Seriously, the mall may play host to your "runs", but their establishment is not fully open to cater to runners' "call-of-nature". Please, set up portalets during races! 

Since the announcer was already calling for the 15K runners to check-in to the starting line, so I decided to run on a full bladder, and pee along the way. Need not to worry, I am a cowboy.

So I decided to stick with my Tita Nene throughout the race. We consider this as our long Sunday run in preparation for the big one this September. (But I am still undecided to run the half-marathon or not.) Lately, I have been pre-occuppied with work since we already opened a new branch. Mostly, I have to work overtime through the past two weeks. Good thing, our boss pays us OT fee, so this means, I can have my Adizero Boston in slurpy, cherry red in no time. My last run was two Sundays ago, a 24Ker, wherein I was walking most of the second half of the route.

So anyway, our pace was consistent. We can still talk without even huffing and puffing, and it was a beautiful day so we tend to enjoy it, even if i was kinda pissed at the lady a little at the counter.

On our way back, Tita was kinda concern about our time. Will we make it in less than 2 hours. When I checked my watch, I told her, we were still good. 

Okay, about the cadets, I almost forgot. They were very smart. The first water station near the 3K turning point is on the side of the road. Unfortunately, runners were running in the middle of the road close to the center island. Since it's in Ouano Ave., trucks and buses and other vehicles are occupying the outer lanes. Runner's have to cross  and play "patintero" with these jumbos for a sip. Good thing the cadets, did the "patintero" and hand off water cups to the runners! Great job and good thinking!

What started as a bad trip for me, ended up to be positive. I finished the race in less than two hours. I felt elated. 

Glad to meet my buddies of running circa '09! I am happy that they are back and racing again! Woohoo!

from Running Slimpig's Facebook photos

Can you spot me in this photo among a band(it) of Ungo runners?
(clue: I wore pink shirt and black shorts and black with pink stripes shoes) 

No comments: